Monday, 7 January 2013

7 January 2013 - The long run

Today I achieved my long run goal for my first week of training. It was only a 5km but it felt great to have set a target that I was able to meet and I've definitely increased my fitness level since the first burning 3kms I did last week.

So - some advice for running the distance?


1. Map your run first. I like to use the website May My Run to do this. I use the mapping tool to determine where I will need to run to fulfil my distance goal for the day. The site has some really great features and can be used as a workout log also.


2. Choose your music. I cannot run without good music and my fully charged ipod is essential if I'm going to make it further than the end of the street. I do have a few favourite running tracks including Florence and the Machine "Dog Day's Are Over" (If lyrics like "The horses are coming... So you better run! Run fast for your mother and fast for your father Run for your children for your sisters and brothers Leave all your love and your longing behind you Can't carry love with you if you want to survive" Can't get you in the mood I don't know what can!)


3. Take the run one step at a time. I can't think about how far, or long I have to go. My mantra is to keep putting one foot in front of the other, until the run is done. 

4. Have some shoes and running clothes you love. 


5. Do not, ever, under any circumstances attempt to run outdoors during a Queensland summer unless the sun is either rising or setting. It is too hot and you will only comfortably be able to run half your distance. You will end up walking back defeated, seeking all and any shady spots along the way. 


Next goal: 7km long run on Sunday. Looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jay - so much improvement in your fitness in just one week!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts!